On Monday 28 March 2005 09:51, Pupeno wrote:

> PORTAGE_NICENESS is set to 19 on /etc/make.conf.
> Any ideas ?

yes, stop using 'niceness'.

With 2.6 nice does not work anymore like it worked with prior releases.
Processes that are niced to negative values might get a lot less CPu than they
should, while positive values get a lot more CPU cycles than they should.

Remove the niceness, and try again.

I have an AMD XP 2000 and 512mb ram and swap does not went further than 60mb,
through emerging (while downloading can push swap into the 200mb area. Very
annoying), but emerging always let me enjoy my box without major slowdowns.