Robert Persson wrote:
> It is my understanding - and please tell me if I'm wrong - that the "r"
> suffixes on the ends of ebuild versions represent fixes to the ebuild, rather
> than to the package itself.  If that is so, would that mean that
> category/thing-x.y.z-r2 won't contain anything important (such as security
> fixes) that isn't already in version x.y.z-r1?
>
> In that case, is there a way to avoid these petty upgrades when I "emerge -u
> world"?
>
> Thanks
> Robert

Not always.
The -rX builds represent Gentoo-specific updates, ie something like a
new patch, that sorta thing. This can include security fixes, if they
are released as a patch rather than as an actual update to the upstream
package, which would result in a version bump for the ebuild.

As to blocking all *-r bumps, I don't think you can.
--
GPG key UID: 0xCED35690
GPG key fingerprint: 1243 C87E 521C 3A0A 3121 C4D6 5A10 AABE CED3 5690