On Monday 04 April 2005 3:03 pm, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> Last year for my birthday my wife bought me a copy of the Sendmail
> Cookbook.  As I was browsing through it I found a recipe for making
> sendmail forward mail with a particular address to a program on the
> sendmail's local hard drive.  This fascinated me, but it doesn't say
> anything beyond how to set up sendmail to forward mail to the program.
> I created a program that did nothing but take the input it was given and
> write it down to a file.  I then set the address up to forward mail to
> the program and cleared the program with smrsh.  I checked the log files
> and my email was sent to the program, but the file my program was
> supposed to create was never created and I'm not sure why - nothing in
> the logs.  Can anyone point me to any resources on how to do what I am
> attempting.  If I can figure out how to do this the number of my
> applications of it would be virtually limitless...

Hi,

I did this for my community server (I wrote my own). But I'm using Postfix
rather than Sendmail. However, the procedure shall be the very same.

You have to read the incoming mail from stdin and then do whatever you
want to do with it (e.g. parsing and interpreting commands ;)

# part of /etc/mail/aliases
yacsadmin: trapni, |"/usr/bin/yacsadmin --receive-mail
--config=/etc/yacs/mailreceiver.conf"

So, I'm still getting a copy of the files send to yacsadmin@ to verify wether
my tool worked well or not. Have a look at my mailreceiver.cpp[1] and
yacsadmin.cpp[2] to see how I got it working. Maybe you shall provide us with
some more detail (source code?) since there may be there error, too ;)

Cya,
Christian Parpart.

[1]
http://svn.trapni-akane.org/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/server/yacsadmin/src/mailreceiver.cpp?root=yacs&rev=1722&view=auto
[2]
http://svn.trapni-akane.org/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/server/yacsadmin/src/yacsadmin.cpp?root=yacs&rev=1735&view=auto

--
Netiquette: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt
 14:05:57 up 13 days,  3:12,  1 user,  load average: 0.17, 0.26, 0.20