Ciaran McCreesh wrote:

>On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 14:57:31 -0400 "Eric S. Johansson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>| I think I understand.  The usability experts were using a language not
>| common to geeks.
>
>The problem is that the usability experts are (deliberately) thinking
>like the average computer illiterate man on the street, rather than
>considering the idea that maybe it's best to have to learn how to use
>powerful, expensive equipment.

Why do I get the feeling that the following sequence occurs far too
often?  At least steps 1-6...

1. GUI designer/programmer (GD) implements functional GUI for most
program features.  Has some hidden, difficult to discover, but highly
useful features.  May require reading user manual or tutorial before
first usage.

2. Usability expert (UE) tries to help GD fix interface so new users
don't get confused.  Firmly believes this can be done without
sacrificing any cool features.

3. GD hears UE tell him he did everything wrong.

4. GD decides the only way to please the UE is to make an interface that
presumes that the user is a complete idiot.  UE gives up trying to speak
to the GD, and contents himself with the fact that at least new users
can use the program.

5. Experienced user gets program, becomes irritated that the program
thinks it is smarter than he/she is.

6. Experienced user grabs Gentoo installation CD and starts compiling.

-Richard