On April 5, 2005 09:27 pm, quoth Martoni:
> What do you think is a Linux killer app (if there is such a beast at all)?
>
> A "unlikely" candidate has surfaced here at home where the boys next door
> live in my study to play "Battle for Wesnoth" on *my* computer (rather than
> "The Hobbit" on my sons Windows box). :) I'm considering getting VMWare for
> his box, installing Gentoo on it - and having them play the Wesnoth game on
> that ...
>
> Personally I wouldn't live without Kontact - which is more of a KDE killer
> app (together with the F4 open terminal function in Konq) ever since
> Evolution drifted away from the integrated approach.
>

> Regards,
>
> Martin S

I agree that Kontact is a pretty major reason to run linux.

I would also say that MLDonkey is a much better way to do file sharing than
what is available for windows because it is not vulnerable to gui crashes and
therefore runs much longer.

If you are into typography (a minority interest I know) then the humble
fontforge is pretty damn good.  Much better than Fontographer which is hugely
expensive despite the fact that it hasn't changed for several years.

Zynaddsubfx is a wonderful musical instrument, even though there are still
many more great softsynths for windows than there are for linux.

And I almost forgot jack!  A fantastic sound server.  Also plays well with
AudioUnits in OSX, which opens a realm of possibilities for networked signal
processing between *nix boxes.  Still short of mature clients, although Linux
music software has come a long way recently.  There's a recording studio in
Minneapolis that makes heavy use of Linux.  Flexible networking and lack of
per-instance license fees bring their costs down massively and let clients
continue to work on their projects in their own time outside of the studio,
which can be very useful.

Robert
--
Robert Persson