On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 07:40:05 +0100 Russ Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Ash Varma wrote:
> >
> > So try:
> >
> > $ equery uses <package_name>
> >
> > eg.
> >

> I keep saying this but nobody seems to listen. 'equery uses' only
> works for packages that you already have installed, which makes it far
> less useful than 'etcat uses' was, which worked with packages you
> haven't installed yet.

You are wrong here. Example:

$ equery uses
Display USE flags for a given package

Syntax:
  uses <local-opts> pkgspec
<local-opts> is either of:
  -a, --all     - include non-installed packages

$ equery uses a2ps
[ Searching for packages matching a2ps... ]
[ Colour Code : set unset ]
[ Legend    : Left column  (U) - USE flags from make.conf              ]
[           : Right column (I) - USE flags packages was installed with ]
!!! No installed packages found for a2ps

$ equery uses -a a2ps
[ Searching for packages matching a2ps... ]
[ Colour Code : set unset ]
[ Legend    : Left column  (U) - USE flags from make.conf              ]
[           : Right column (I) - USE flags packages was installed with ]
[ Found these USE variables for app-text/a2ps-4.13c-r2 ]
 U I
 + + nls     : <unknown>
 + + tetex   : Adds support for teTeX
 - - cjk     : Adds support for Multi-byte character languages (Chinese,
Japanese, Korean)
- - vanilla : Do not add extra patches which change default behaviour

Cheers,
Renat