Le mercredi 06 avril 2005 Ã 15:26 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann a Ãcrit :
> ggi is a lowlevel graphics system, to replace X or svgalib.
>
> SDL is an abstraction for ogl/X/svgalib/directX and a lot of other stuff.

Not quite.

GGI is an abstraction as well. You can run ggi apps over X, framebuffer,
directX, Aqua, across multiple displays or over the network. It is much
more flexible than SDL with respect to universality. But it is only an
abstraction for graphics and input.

SDL aims more at portable games. So it offers abstractions for network
communications, sound, etc... In this regard it is much like a
cross-platform directX.

SDL can use GGI for its graphics, but has to rely on other interfaces
for sound or network.

GGI could very well use the graphics part of SDL to do its rendering.
They probably just need someone to write the corresponding target...

<mode imagination on>
You could for example use an SDL game over X, with the X server using a
ggi driver instead of direct hardware (it is called XGGI). GGI in turn
could be using its framebuffer target... I am not talking about speed
here!
<mode imagination off>

AurÃlien