Jerry McBride wrote:

>One of the methods I used to test ext3 was just that... I removed the battery,
>plugged the laptop into a local outlet... booted it and started a number of
>various processes... when things looked real good and busy, I pulled the
>plug... BAM! Dead.... Plug it back into the outlet and reboot...  The
>filesystem check would take like a second or two and It's back in business.

Jerry,

Well, that is certainly a tough test of a journaled filesystem!  But I'm
not convinced that your conclusion that XFS is useless for laptops is a
valid one.  You _could_ reasonably conclude that ext3 handles complete
power failure better than XFS from this test, but a complete power
failure on a laptop is trivially easy to avoid...just don't remove the
battery!  Heck, one of the rubber feet on the bottom of my laptop is
attached to the battery, so trying to use it without a battery makes it
really wobbly and uncomfortable.

Really, how many laptop users would even think to use their laptop
without the battery??  In every case, leaving the battery in is a better
decision, because of the automatic UPS feature.

-Richard