Mark Knecht wrote:

>I need to learn the RAID levels, but what I mean is I think what's
>called mirroring.

Yep, thats RAID1.  Forgive me, I've been married to my laptop for too
long, and I forget that 'normal' computers can have multiple 1394/USB
controllers!  In that configuration, yes, you should be able to get some
decent bandwidth.

If/when you do try this, please report the results.  I am using USB2.0
disks for my backups right now, but my bandwidth is limited to 20MB/sec
total.  Since one of the disks I backup is also a USB2.0 disk, my
effective bandwidth is about 10MB/sec for much of my backup (transfer
from USB2.0 disk to memory, memory to other USB disk).

I also have a 1394 port that I am not using for anything right now, and
I know that if I moved one or the other to that bus, I could get some
more speed.  But I am not sure which one to move, because I don't know
whether it is faster or slower than the 20MB/sec maximum that I get now.

>Two or more drives with identical data for
>redundancy. In my case I have three 1394 controllers in the same
>machine. I was considering putting identical drives on each cable in
>parallel so the 1394 bandwidth is essentically trippled and the same
>data is written and read to all drives. Seems to me the only overhead
>is then 3x disk bandwidth across the PCI bus as well as the
>verification that all 3 drives return the same data.

I am pretty sure that when reading data, the kernel's software RAID
treats the the array the same as RAID0..that is it would read all 3
disks simultaneously, but different blocks from each, to maximize
throughput.  If the array is 'clean', and all 3 disks contain the same
data, there is no point in reading the same data from all 3 drives.

Write performance suffers slightly with RAID1, because you basically
have to wait for the slowest disk.  Even if they are all the same speed,
there is always one that lags a few ms because the platters are not
synchronized.

For the filesystem, I say choose your favorite.  Just remember that 3
copies of the same mistake doesn't help you much...you still need backups!

-Richard