> Did I miss something?

Nope, you hit the nail on the head.

> How do I check (command syntax) that the profile is actually updated ?

ls -l /etc/make.profile should indicate what profile you're linked to.

> How come all of those 'use.defaults' files still
> have 2004.x in the path names instead of 2005.0 ?

I believe the 2005.x standard is to use the
/u/p/p/default-linux/use.defaults; the 2004 version(s) were used by those
specific profiles.  In fact if you look at the listing it would appear that
the intention is that the profile-specific use.defaults are extensions to
the d-l/use.defaults file, indicating that at some point along the way it
was determined that no 2005.x specific additions are necessary.  Obviously
there are others more qualified than I to answer this one correctly.