Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:

> More info, though:
>
> 1. I can boot so single user, run '/etc/init.d/alsasound start', and it
> works fine.  This is true for the current 'suspend' kernel as well as some
> old kernels (like 2.6.9-gentoo-r13).
> 2. When I go to 'init 3', it still works fine before logging into KDE.
> 3. After I log into KDE, the sound card brakes.  Only way to recover it so
> that it's usable to KDE is to hibernate and then resume.
>
> I'm befuddled.  :-|

I had once problems with kde and alsa. When kde started up, it borked
some mixer settings and sound stopped working.
I traced the problem to kde saving and loading mixer settings at
startup/exit.
Kde started the arts daemon (this was still ok) and then loaded the
mixer settings (running kmix) and that borked the sound.

Try saving the mixer state when the sound is working
alsactl store

then start up kde, (i presume you sound stops working now),
and then try
alsactl restore
and see whether the sound works...

If this is the problem disable the mixer settings loading in kde

(uh, never remeber where to do that, it used to be under Control Center
-> sound&multimedia->soundserver in older kde, but now i think you have
to run kmix, and in the settings, there is a "load  settings on login")

In my case it was hard to find out, because it didn't change the normal
volumes, but change some of the flags of the 5.1 soundcard, that
resulted in the soundcard producing no sound ;)) newere player with it
more, there just too many controls i don't have clue what they are for ;)