On Thu, 19 May 2005, Philip Webb wrote:

> > I'd also like to see portage keeping it in alphapetical order.
> > At the moment it is a mess because of that *too*.
>
> yes, that's a 2nd issue with the current state of things.

Not that it matters much unless you spend great amounts of time looking at
the world file (I never have and I manage servers for a living).

> BTW the response "if you do 'emerge -blah world' everything's hunky-dory"
> ignores the fact that some -- most ? -- users don't want to update 'world',
> which can take hours, eg if OpenOffice is one of the pkgs in 'world'
> (currently there's an '-r1' update which fixes some obscure vulnerability,
> which i checked out & it doesn't threaten my system with my use of OO).
> ok yes, the next similar response will be "then don't use OO ... ",
> but at that point i return to my other more important concerns of today.

No - the response will be that its certainly possible to ignore that
update by putting an appropriate entry in /etc/portage/package.mask.

Also, you can update the rest of what's in world by running "emerge -uD
package".

> & i can happily dodge around the problem as i've been doing for a long time.

Sounds exhausting - but that's fine for one box but not if you have a
bunch of them.