On Sun, 22 May 2005 04:01:52 -0400, John Dangler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

During shutdown, I get 2 errors -
ERROR: problems stopping dependent services.  "bootmisc" is still up.
ERROR: problems stopping dependent services.  "clock" is still up.

Further down, I get a message saying "saving random seed", and nothing
happens after that.  I need to power the box off and back on.

Did your computer correctly shutdown?
If not,you get something like "xxxx (one of your partitions) not cleanly unmounted"
when you startup.

If your computer doesn't turnoff power is not a very serious problem.It might be the way you
compile acpi in your kernel
If it really "hangs" on shutdown it might be a big problem.
No more messages coming on shutdown can be a minor problem (happened to me,
but not on gentoo).but if there are no more messages because the computer hangs
it is serious indeed.
ERRORS are annoying and should be resolved but are not allways critical.

sorry for my cryptic answer.I'm not a guru and if your problem is serious,I can not help you very much,I just wondered if your problem is not a coincidence of minor problems.

Ciao

--
jaap