One simple fact, the ebuilds don't rely on the rpms, they use the
self-extracting binaries distributed by Sun.  Check the ebuild for
1.5.0.03:

x86file="jdk-${MY_PVA}-linux-i586.bin"

Sun distributes their JDK and JRE in two formats, the broken RPM you
mentioned, and a generic self extracting/installing archive.  The
portage ebuild uses the latter, extracts into the portage build
environment, and then copies into the actual system.  Yum might not
have the flexibility to deal with this .bin file, seeing as it's based
on RPM, though there's nothing stopping people from making personal
RPMs from the .bin file after extracting it, but distributing it on
the Internet would likely get Sun banging on your door as they want
you to go through their license agreement before downloading.