in playing with USB flash drives on systems with SCSI disks, every time I boot with the flagstick installed, it gets assigned to /dev/sda and the SCSI drives are assigned to subsequent /dev/sdX device names. But when I remove the USB drive, all assignments shift down and things like mount points get royally screwed up.

is there any way I can assign the usb flash drive to some guaranteed to be unused sdX device name and let the SCSI devices be allocated normally or force the USB flash device to be detected after the SCSI disks so that it is assigned to the end of the list of SCSI devices?

my goal is to get the SCSI disk device name assignments to be the same whether or not the flash drive is present.

---eric

--
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.03/view.html?pg=5

The result of the duopoly that currently defines "competition" is that
prices and service suck. We're the world's leader in Internet
technology - except that we're not.