Mike Owen schreef:
> On 5/25/05, James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>Is it OK to use 'make oldmenuconfig' to ensure that the options I had
>>selected in a 2.6.x kernel also are selected for the newer 2.6. kernel?
>>Isn't  'make oldmenuconfig' deprecated for 2.6 or does it still work?
>>
>>Also I perviously used xconfig  (make xconfig) in lieu of make menuconfig,
>>but I cannot seem to find anything other than menuconfig. Surely
>>there is a nicer gui to use to build kernels and track options selected
>>in various kernel builds than the ole standby 'make menuconfig'.
>>

>>ideas?
>>

>>James
>>

> I typically just use "make oldconfig", as the number of changes from
> one version to the next aren't that great normally. Doing a make
> oldconfig will prompt you for each new feature, so once you have your
> baseline kernel set, make oldconfig is real quick. When moving between
> different -rX versions, it often won't prompt at all.
>
> Mike

I've actually been upgrading within a series (gentoo-sources, -r6 to
-r8), and across series (to ck-sources and mm-sources)... and been
paying attention closely to this exact issue when I did so.

And what I noticed is that when I switched the symlink and ran make
menuconfig, this was the message:

mutable linux # make menuconfig (first time config of newly installed
mm-sources, booted into gentoo-2.6.11-r8)

  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/split-include
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/docproc
  SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.h
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/conf.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/kxgettext.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/mconf.o
  SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.c
  SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/lex.zconf.c
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.o
  HOSTLD  scripts/kconfig/mconf
  HOSTCC  scripts/lxdialog/checklist.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/lxdialog/inputbox.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/lxdialog/lxdialog.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/lxdialog/menubox.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/lxdialog/msgbox.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/lxdialog/textbox.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/lxdialog/util.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/lxdialog/yesno.o
  HOSTLD  scripts/lxdialog/lxdialog
scripts/kconfig/mconf arch/i386/Kconfig
#
*# using defaults found in /boot/config-2.6.11-gentoo-r8*

So in fact, makeoldconfig appears to be a bit obsolete, as the new
kernel used my old kernel settings as the default. This may be because I
had installed my kernel with make install, so there *was* a config to be
found in /boot, but it did save a lot of work.

For changing series, I definitely prefer to look at the kernel config
anyway, to see what options the series' patches have added, but for
upgrading within the same series, if nothing has really changed, it's
nice to know you can just make menuconfig, save immediately (because you
don't have to do anything, but you can also confirm that the settings
really are the same if you like), and head right into make
modules_install, etc. I find that actually faster than selecting X
number of new (and usually irrelevant to me) options with make oldconfig
anyway (n, n, n, etc).

Holly