Hi,
   Does udev somehow not support mounting by label?????

   We've had a system using devfsd with a user partition mounted at
/home/herb for a long time. (18 months) Everything has been fine. The
user partition has always mounted correctly. We recently switched to
udev and the system has been through some reboots and has mounted fine
until today. As of today it appears that they no longer do. After a
reboot things looked like this:

gandalf ~ # df
/dev/sda3              4892408   3760620    883268  81% /
udev                    257536      3148    254388   2% /dev
gandalf ~ #

It seems that only / and swap are mounting

What we are more used to is things looking like this:

gandalf ~ # df
/dev/sda3              4892408   3760620    883268  81% /
udev                    257536      3148    254388   2% /dev
/dev/sda8              9612604   1366048   7758260  15% /home/herb
/dev/sda6              9612604   1299172   7825136  15% /usr/portage
/dev/sdb2            278827992  34887008 229777280  14% /TVstorage
gandalf ~ #

I have been trying to clean up this machine's world file. to that end
it appeared from a --depclean operation that devfsd was no longer
required so I removed it. I think that this problem started after
that. Is this a problem? udev is here to do it's work, right?

Here's the fstab file. Are there changes required to ensure things
mount correctly?

gandalf ~ # cat /etc/fstab
# $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-src/rc-scripts/etc/fstab,v 1.13
2003/07/17 19:55:18 azarah Exp $
#
# noatime turns off atimes for increased performance (atimes normally aren't
# needed; notail increases performance of ReiserFS (at the expense of storage
# efficiency).  It's safe to drop the noatime options if you want and to
# switch between notail and tail freely.

         <dump/pass>

# NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to opts.
LABEL=BOOT              /boot           ext2            noauto,noatime
         1 1
LABEL=ROOT              /               ext3            noatime
         0 0
/dev/sda5               none            swap            sw
         0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         noauto,user,ro
         0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy     auto            user,noauto
         0 0
LABEL=PORTAGE           /usr/portage    ext3            noatime
         0 0
LABEL=BACKUPS           /mnt/backups    ext3            noauto
         0 0
LABEL=EXHOME            /home/herb      ext3            rw,noatime
         0 0
LABEL=1394MythTV        /TVstorage      ext3            noatime
         0 0
LABEL=1394backup        /mnt/1394backup ext3
noauto,user,rw,noatime  0 0

# NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
none                    /proc           proc            defaults
         0 0

# glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
# POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).
# (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will
#  use almost no memory if not populated with files)
# Adding the following line to /etc/fstab should take care of this:

none                    /dev/shm        tmpfs           defaults
         0 0

# Scanner
none                    /proc/bus/usb   usbfs
defaults,devmode=0666,user=mark 0 0
gandalf ~ #

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

- Mark