--- Ow Mun Heng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm sorry but I looked inside the content of a tbz2
> file and didn't find
> that it has any references to the /var/db directory.

The data not inside the tar archive.  It's appended
onto the end of the tbz2 file.  You know it's there
because if you unzip the tbz2 file then bunzip2 says
"trailing garbage after EOF ignored".

> And what does tbz2tool and xpak do? There's not much
> of a Man page for
> them.

They take care of what's needed to handle the appended
data.  They're not documented because normally they're
only used internally by portage.

Zac