> Well, there is one reason...VMWare still doesn't support
> ALSA, and the vmwaredsp wrapper library only works with esd
> or artsd, so I have to keep one of them around.

DMIX does not make the soundservers unnecessary. Why?

A program which needs esound or arts or gstreamer or JACK
cannot output sound via dmix.

But DMIX makes it possible to

* run several soundservers at the same time
* that more than one application which does not use a
soundserver but tries to access an ALSA device directly can
output sound simultaneously

Remaining problems:

Applications which still need OSS can output sound via the
ALSA OSS emulation, but if I'm right it is still difficult to
pipe it through DMIX

But anyway, DMIX solves a lot or problems and really is a
great step forward.

And to those who think DMIX is unneccessary, think about the
following constellation. You're listening to ogg files while
your collegue tries to call you via a softphone. Will the
softphone be able to ring?

Best regards

    ce