--- Roy Wright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> Over the past few months since my first gentoo
> install, I have
> yet to discover how do I find out the current state
> of masked
> ebuilds.  I.e., I'm looking for 1) why are they
> masked, and 2) any
> known issues with the build.

Read /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask, the ebuild
itself, the ebuild changelog, and bugs.gentoo.org.

> I can look up the package on packages.gentoo.org,
> but can't
> find this info easily.  Yes I can go thru the change
> log and
> the bugs, but these are for all versions.  Takes
> time to sort
> out.

If you are really interested then you will take the
time but it really shouldn't take long after you get
used to it.

> Most of the time, I'd like to know if this masked
> for testing
> ebuild already has some known issues (particually
> critical
> ones) and is awaiting the next version or is it
> really just
> waiting for enough people to bang on it?

If it's a keyword mask like ~x86 then it is just
"waiting for enough people to bang on it".  I use
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" and then use -~x86 in
/etc/portage/package.keywords as necessary (most ~arch
packages work fine for me).

Zac