On 6/8/05, Remy Blank <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
> > One setting I noticed rereading the config file was this one:
> >
> > <SNIP>
> >  Enable laptop mode always, not just when on battery?
> > # (This will still disable laptop mode when the battery almost runs out.)
> > LAPTOP_MODE_ALWAYS_ON=0
> > <SNIP>
> >
> > Since it's a desktop machine it would seem that maybe laptop mode is
> > not totally operational since I would never be on battery?  I'm trying
> > changing this to '1' and seeing what happens.
>
> You can check if laptop_mode is enabled with:
>
> cat /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode
>
> My desktop says 0 (disabled), and my laptop says 2 (enabled, but no idea
> why it's not 1).

Mine says '2' also:

myth11 root # cat /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode
2
myth11 root #

> Moreover, if your filesystem is ext3, a "mount" shows the following:
>
> /dev/hda6 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime,acl,user_xattr,commit=600)
>
> where the important part is the option "commit=600", the value being
> your MAX_AGE parameter. If laptop_mode is disabled, the parameter is
> either absent or "commit=0".

So it aappears here to be enabled:

myth11 root # mount
/dev/hda3 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime,commit=600)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /dev type ramfs (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
none on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
myth11 root #

So this should be spinning the drive up every 10 minutes? I don't
think that's happening but I'll watch it carefully for another 30
minutes.

Thanks,
Mark