On Wed, 2005-06-08 at 17:31 +0200, Remy Blank wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
> > One setting I noticed rereading the config file was this one:
> >
> > <SNIP>
> >  Enable laptop mode always, not just when on battery?
> > # (This will still disable laptop mode when the battery almost runs out.)
> > LAPTOP_MODE_ALWAYS_ON=0
> > <SNIP>
> >
> > Since it's a desktop machine it would seem that maybe laptop mode is
> > not totally operational since I would never be on battery?  I'm trying
> > changing this to '1' and seeing what happens.
>
> You can check if laptop_mode is enabled with:
>
> cat /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode
>
> My desktop says 0 (disabled), and my laptop says 2 (enabled, but no idea
> why it's not 1).
>
> Moreover, if your filesystem is ext3, a "mount" shows the following:
>
> /dev/hda6 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime,acl,user_xattr,commit=600)
>
> where the important part is the option "commit=600", the value being
> your MAX_AGE parameter. If laptop_mode is disabled, the parameter is
> either absent or "commit=0".

If you really want to learn more about power management in Linux, I
suggest you google for laptop_mode or you can read the article in the
spanking new MyOSS Magazine at http://mag.my-opensource.org which lists
all the links in one place for your perusal.

otherwise.. try cat /usr/share/doc/laptop[tab]/laptop-mode.gz

--
Ow Mun Heng
98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!