Kurt Guenther wrote:

Try this:
emerge -p  gnome-applets

I found a package that was blocking the emerge (including one for gnome
menus).  I resolved this and emerged about 10 packages and my clock
applet is running.

Although, now I have a impossibly small font for my resolution
(1900x1200).  It seems that most of the gnome preferences menu items are
missing.

I had some gnome packages that was not at version 2.10. So the first things I tried was to upgrade gnome-applets and that did the trick for the clock applet. I then did a whole "deep-update-newuse-thing" so I guess most clues what might have been wrong are lost now. I have no problem with fonts etc. Only remaining problem seen so far is that the start-here icon does not work.

I had started a quest to remove evolution, by removing a few evolution packages, that might have caused the problem with the not-complete-gnome-to-2.10 update. But as I said the update probably removed all clues since it reinstalled evolution for me. (So I still have this path to go down if I dare try it again. ;.-) This time I will try to do it while not updating gnome at the same time.

Yours
--
%% Mats