On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 03:59:16 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:

> On 6/10/05, Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > CF cards aren't lockable, but some CD-IDE adaptors have a write
> > protect jumper. Of course, you'll have problems saving any settings
> > with a write- protected /etc, so JFFS2 may be a better option. This
> > is a filesystem specifically for flash driver, that avoids repeated
> > writing to the same part of the disk.

Or, of course, you could simply mount the filesystem ro.

> For me this is about how to make a quiet MythTV frontend machine, not
> a 'Gentoo PC.' No hard drive is less noise. My thought was that once
> the machine was configured I'd like to lock the flash and never write
> ANYTHING to it.

What about the MythTV data? Is that on another box, networked?

> The only time I'd possibly do anything on the flash
> was to update the system, maybe once every few months. Other than that
> if the machine is turned on and playing TV shows then I'd be happy
> with no logging or any type and the drive doesn't change at all.

It sounds like you need something like one of these, which keep the
card inside the box, and treat it as a hard disk (but silent).

Removing all hard disks would also reduce the amount of heat generated,
so you could reduce fan speeds to make it even quieter.

--
Neil Bothwick

If you smoke after sex, you're doing it too fast.