I just upgraded to udev from devfs by following this tutorial:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Migrate_to_UDEV and
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/udev-guide.xml

Now from what I understand all usb devices ie: digital cameras (sony
cyber shots), flash drivers etc should show up as ub* for udev. While
sd* is from devfs. When I ls /dev there are no ub* nodes :(

When I plug in a usb device say my camera:
lsusb gives:
QUOTE
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 045e:007d Microsoft Corp. Notebook Optical Mouse
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 054c:0010 Sony Corp.
DSC-S30/S70/S75/F505V/F505/FD92 Cybershot/Mavica Digital Camera
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

dmesg | tail gives:
QUOTE
ziig / # dmesg | tail
sda: Mode Sense: 00 00 00 00
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 00 00 00 00
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: sda1
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Attached scsi generic sg0 at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0, type 0
usb-storage: device scan complete
ziig / #

dmesg | tail when removing the usb camera:
QUOTE
ziig / # dmesg | tail
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: Write Protect is off
sda: Mode Sense: 00 00 00 00
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: sda1
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi3, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Attached scsi generic sg0 at scsi3, channel 0, id 0, lun 0, type 0
usb-storage: device scan complete
usb 1-4: USB disconnect, address 11

A similar sort of thing happens with my usb flash drive:
QUOTE
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 045e:007d Microsoft Corp. Notebook Optical Mouse
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 010: ID 0caf:2516 Buslink
Bus 001 Device 009: ID 0caf:2517 Buslink
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 0caf:2515 Buslink
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

dmesg | tail for the flash drive:
QUOTE
sda: Mode Sense: 00 06 00 80
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: Write Protect is on
sda: Mode Sense: 00 06 00 80
sda: assuming drive cache: write through
sda: unknown partition table
Attached scsi removable disk sda at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Attached scsi generic sg0 at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0, type 0
usb-storage: device scan complete

If I mount /dev/sda /mnt/flsh or what ever it mounts the device
correctly but this is going against how udev should be working. Is
there something that is missing or what?

- I removed support for devfs in my kernel
- I added udev support
- I emerged udev hotplug coldplug
- I changed /etc/conf.d/rc
- I emerged -C devfs

udev starts up correctly in the runlevel well from what I can see.

now the ls from my /dev directory now is:
QUOTE
ziig dev # ls
adsp kmem ptya8 ptyc7 ptye6 ptyq5 ptys4 ptyu3 ptyw2 ptyy1 random tty24
tty52 ttya7 ttyc6 ttye5 ttyq4 ttys3 ttyu2 ttyw1 ttyy0 ttyzf
agpgart kmsg ptya9 ptyc8 ptye7 ptyq6 ptys5 ptyu4 ptyw3 ptyy2 rtc tty25
tty53 ttya8 ttyc7 ttye6 ttyq5 ttys4 ttyu3 ttyw2 ttyy1 urandom
audio log ptyaa ptyc9 ptye8 ptyq7 ptys6 ptyu5 ptyw4 ptyy3 sda tty26
tty54 ttya9 ttyc8 ttye7 ttyq6 ttys5 ttyu4 ttyw3 ttyy2 vc
audio1 loop ptyab ptyca ptye9 ptyq8 ptys7 ptyu6 ptyw5 ptyy4 sequencer
tty27 tty55 ttyaa ttyc9 ttye8 ttyq7 ttys6 ttyu5 ttyw4 ttyy3 vcc
cdrom loop0 ptyac ptycb ptyea ptyq9 ptys8 ptyu7 ptyw6 ptyy5 sequencer2
tty28 tty56 ttyab ttyca ttye9 ttyq8 ttys7 ttyu6 ttyw5 ttyy4 vcs
cdroms loop1 ptyad ptycc ptyeb ptyqa ptys9 ptyu8 ptyw7 ptyy6 sg0 tty29
tty57 ttyac ttycb ttyea ttyq9 ttys8 ttyu7 ttyw6 ttyy5 vcs1
cdrw loop2 ptyae ptycd ptyec ptyqb ptysa ptyu9 ptyw8 ptyy7 shm tty3
tty58 ttyad ttycc ttyeb ttyqa ttys9 ttyu8 ttyw7 ttyy6 vcs2
console loop3 ptyaf ptyce ptyed ptyqc ptysb ptyua ptyw9 ptyy8 snd
tty30 tty59 ttyae ttycd ttyec ttyqb ttysa ttyu9 ttyw8 ttyy7 vcs3
core loop4 ptyb0 ptycf ptyee ptyqd ptysc ptyub ptywa ptyy9 sound tty31
tty6 ttyaf ttyce ttyed ttyqc ttysb ttyua ttyw9 ttyy8 vcs4
cpu loop5 ptyb1 ptyd0 ptyef ptyqe ptysd ptyuc ptywb ptyya stderr tty32
tty60 ttyb0 ttycf ttyee ttyqd ttysc ttyub ttywa ttyy9 vcs5
discs loop6 ptyb2 ptyd1 ptyp0 ptyqf ptyse ptyud ptywc ptyyb stdin
tty33 tty61 ttyb1 ttyd0 ttyef ttyqe ttysd ttyuc ttywb ttyya vcs6
dri loop7 ptyb3 ptyd2 ptyp1 ptyr0 ptysf ptyue ptywd ptyyc stdout tty34
tty62 ttyb2 ttyd1 ttyp0 ttyqf ttyse ttyud ttywc ttyyb vcs7
dsp mem ptyb4 ptyd3 ptyp2 ptyr1 ptyt0 ptyuf ptywe ptyyd tts tty35
tty63 ttyb3 ttyd2 ttyp1 ttyr0 ttysf ttyue ttywd ttyyc vcsa
dsp1 misc ptyb5 ptyd4 ptyp3 ptyr2 ptyt1 ptyv0 ptywf ptyye tty tty36
tty7 ttyb4 ttyd3 ttyp2 ttyr1 ttyt0 ttyuf ttywe ttyyd vcsa1
dvd mixer ptyb6 ptyd5 ptyp4 ptyr3 ptyt2 ptyv1 ptyx0 ptyyf tty0 tty37
tty8 ttyb5 ttyd4 ttyp3 ttyr2 ttyt1 ttyv0 ttywf ttyye vcsa2
fb mixer1 ptyb7 ptyd6 ptyp5 ptyr4 ptyt3 ptyv2 ptyx1 ptyz0 tty1 tty38
tty9 ttyb6 ttyd5 ttyp4 ttyr3 ttyt2 ttyv1 ttyx0 ttyyf vcsa3
fb0 null ptyb8 ptyd7 ptyp6 ptyr5 ptyt4 ptyv3 ptyx2 ptyz1 tty10 tty39
ttyS0 ttyb7 ttyd6 ttyp5 ttyr4 ttyt3 ttyv2 ttyx1 ttyz0 vcsa4
fbsplash port ptyb9 ptyd8 ptyp7 ptyr6 ptyt5 ptyv4 ptyx3 ptyz2 tty11
tty4 ttyS1 ttyb8 ttyd7 ttyp6 ttyr5 ttyt4 ttyv3 ttyx2 ttyz1 vcsa5
fd ppp ptyba ptyd9 ptyp8 ptyr7 ptyt6 ptyv5 ptyx4 ptyz3 tty12 tty40
ttyS2 ttyb9 ttyd8 ttyp7 ttyr6 ttyt5 ttyv4 ttyx3 ttyz2 vcsa6
full psaux ptybb ptyda ptyp9 ptyr8 ptyt7 ptyv6 ptyx5 ptyz4 tty13 tty41
ttyS3 ttyba ttyd9 ttyp8 ttyr7 ttyt6 ttyv5 ttyx4 ttyz3 vcsa7
gpmctl ptmx ptybc ptydb ptypa ptyr9 ptyt8 ptyv7 ptyx6 ptyz5 tty14
tty42 ttyS4 ttybb ttyda ttyp9 ttyr8 ttyt7 ttyv6 ttyx5 ttyz4 zero
hda pts ptybd ptydc ptypb ptyra ptyt9 ptyv8 ptyx7 ptyz6 tty15 tty43
ttyS5 ttybc ttydb ttypa ttyr9 ttyt8 ttyv7 ttyx6 ttyz5
hda1 pty ptybe ptydd ptypc ptyrb ptyta ptyv9 ptyx8 ptyz7 tty16 tty44
ttyS6 ttybd ttydc ttypb ttyra ttyt9 ttyv8 ttyx7 ttyz6
hda2 ptya0 ptybf ptyde ptypd ptyrc ptytb ptyva ptyx9 ptyz8 tty17 tty45
ttyS7 ttybe ttydd ttypc ttyrb ttyta ttyv9 ttyx8 ttyz7
hda3 ptya1 ptyc0 ptydf ptype ptyrd ptytc ptyvb ptyxa ptyz9 tty18 tty46
ttya0 ttybf ttyde ttypd ttyrc ttytb ttyva ttyx9 ttyz8
hda4 ptya2 ptyc1 ptye0 ptypf ptyre ptytd ptyvc ptyxb ptyza tty19 tty47
ttya1 ttyc0 ttydf ttype ttyrd ttytc ttyvb ttyxa ttyz9
hdc ptya3 ptyc2 ptye1 ptyq0 ptyrf ptyte ptyvd ptyxc ptyzb tty2 tty48
ttya2 ttyc1 ttye0 ttypf ttyre ttytd ttyvc ttyxb ttyza
ide ptya4 ptyc3 ptye2 ptyq1 ptys0 ptytf ptyve ptyxd ptyzc tty20 tty49
ttya3 ttyc2 ttye1 ttyq0 ttyrf ttyte ttyvd ttyxc ttyzb
initctl ptya5 ptyc4 ptye3 ptyq2 ptys1 ptyu0 ptyvf ptyxe ptyzd tty21
tty5 ttya4 ttyc3 ttye2 ttyq1 ttys0 ttytf ttyve ttyxd ttyzc
inotify ptya6 ptyc5 ptye4 ptyq3 ptys2 ptyu1 ptyw0 ptyxf ptyze tty22
tty50 ttya5 ttyc4 ttye3 ttyq2 ttys1 ttyu0 ttyvf ttyxe ttyzd
input ptya7 ptyc6 ptye5 ptyq4 ptys3 ptyu2 ptyw1 ptyy0 ptyzf tty23
tty51 ttya6 ttyc5 ttye4 ttyq3 ttys2 ttyu1 ttyw0 ttyxf ttyze
ziig dev #

"When you play a Microsoft CD backwards you can hear demonic Voices...
that's nothing - when you play it forward it installs Windows"
Are you fearing my mouse? <:3___)~~~~