Bill Rucker wrote:

> Somewhere around Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 07:07:14AM +0200, a message
> from Richard Fish went like this:
>
>> The other night I did an emerge sync; emerge world -vu and got a
>> new and improved version of baselayout. I screwed up and let
>> etc-update clobber all my config files (stupid I know ;() ... anyway,
>> I've recovered from it except I can't get wireless working. It all
>> was so simple before. Even doing it manually was simple but I can't
>> get it to connect (associate) with my access points. Before all this
>> I could do it manually by:
>>
>> # modprobe ath_pci // using the madwifi drivers on my Thinkpad T40
>> # ifconfig ath0 192.168.1.53 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
>> # route add default gw 192.168.1.1 ath0
>

> I don't have much to add to this thread with the exception that my
> wireless also
> got clobbered with the new baselayout. I've got a thread going on the
> forums
> that hasn't been answered in a couple of days now, but nothing I do
> with the
> config of /etc/conf.d/wireless or /etc/conf.d/net seems to make a bit of
> difference. Link to the thread:
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-347809-highlight-.html I have no
> problems
> starting the card manually whatsoever. My driver is built into the
> kernel so
> just need to:

I'm not really much of a forum reader..too lazy I guess.

> # iwconfig eth1 essid Speeder key 'key_here'
> # ifconfig eth1 up
> # dhcpcd eth1

Two options that may help.  In /etc/conf.d/net, try:

modules_eth1=( "ifconfig" "iwconfig" "dhcpcd" ) # also try "iwconfig"
"ifconfig" "dhcpcd"

If the above doesn't help, try:

modules_force_eth1=( "ifconfig" "iwconfig" "dhcpcd" ) # and the
alternative order above

You'll get some dire warnings about forcing modules, but it Works For Me
(TM).

Let me know what happens...

-Richard