maxim wexler wrote:

> Arrrgh, everytime I hit <forward-slash> or an
> <apostrophe> the find dialogue opens and
> I<apostrophe>m knocked out of this text window.
> Firefox v.1.0.4

That's not normal.  If this is on Linux, possibly an extension you have
installed is a problem, or there is some breakage in your ~/.gtkrc-2.0
file?  Something like setting 'vi' mode for all gtk text entry widgets
might do this to you...

Anyway, back to grub.  2 things.

1. First, looking through the grub sources, I found the following in the
NEWS file:

New in 0.95 - 2004-06-13:
* Add support for ReiserFS 3.
* Fix support for FreeBSD 5.
* Support ATARAID for Linux in the grub shell and grub-install.
* Add CDROM support for El Torito with no emulation mode. You can use
  (cd) as a CDROM drive in the config file.
* Option --no-mem-option is implied for Linux 2.4.18 and newer.
* Add support for UFS2.

So, the 'no emulation' mode of booting from CD was added in 0.95.  I
seem to remember you were running 0.94?  If so, upgrade to 0.96, repeat
the steps to create the ISO, and that should fix the problem.  Most
important is don't forget to update the boot/grub/stage2_eltorito file
with the one in the /lib/grub/i386-pc directory.

At this point, I must apologize.  Someone recommended a few hundred
messages ago (it seems) to download grub directly from gnu.org and
compile it directly.  Although there is nothing wrong with the ebuild
for 0.96, that would have avoided this particular problem.

2. If you followed the thread "Reboot when GRUB starts", you might have
noticed a workaround that I don't think we tried for booting off the
hard disk.  That is to rename the /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5 file, and
then to re-run the grub setup commands.  That will cause block mapping
of the stage2 file in the stage1, and might be an effective workaround
for your system.  IIRC, your boot is /dev/hda4, so that would be:

# mv -v /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5 /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5.sav
# grub
grub> root (hd0,3)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

The output of setup should show that the e2fs_stage1_5 file doesn't
exist, but the "install" line should still end with "succeeded".

-Richard