Holly Bostick wrote:
> I've been trying to get my locales straightened out. I want to use
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (ISO8859-15) as my default encoding. I originally followed
> the Gentoo Localization Guide and defined the following locales in
> /etc/locales/build:
>
> en_us/ISO-8859-1
> en_US.ISO-8859-15/ISO-8859-15
> en_US.UTF-8/UTF-8
> nl_NL/ISO-8859-1
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]/ISO-8859-15
> nl_NL.UTF-8/UTF-8
>
> rebuilt glibc (again) and everything was kinda OK, except that

snip
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>       LANGUAGE = (unset),
>       LC_ALL = "nl_NL.ISO-8859-15",
>       LANG = "nl_NL.ISO-8859-15"
>     are supported and installed on your system.
>
> $LANGUAGE ? Where am I supposed to set that? And what's the syntax? Perl
> seems to be the only one upset by this; why? And where do I set the
> actual locale, since none of all of these settings seem to be what the
> system (or Perl) is looking for?
>
> It's not a crisis (everything seems to be working nonetheless), but I
> would like to straighten this out (even if it means going to UTF8).
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Holly

On my system it is /etc/locales.build rather than /etc/locales/build (probably
just a typo in the email).  Have you tried to rebuild the definitions with
localedef?

localedef -v -c -i nl_NL -f ISO-8859-15 nl_NL.ISO-8859-15

After that run "perl -v" and hopefully you won't get "Setting locale failed"
anymore.

Zac