* Mark Knecht ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> I think there is no difference in size between any of these distros
> really. KDE is the size of KDE. Gnome is the size of Gnome.
> Differences are pretty small compared to the overall size of things.
>
> The first step would be to mount /usr/portage on a separate machine
> using NFS. Setup an NFS server on that remote box, export the
> directory as rw, and then mount it as rw on your machine in fstab. At
> this point all the code that's downloaded by your box is actually
> placed on another machine where you have space. Keep i mind that this
> is 2-3 times the network traffic when you are building code -
> Internet->small machine->NFS drive for storage-> small machine to be
> built. None the less it works.
>
> More practical is to just do things normall and watch after the
> /usr/portage/distfiles. I currently have 600MB in mine on this laptop.
> On the small MythTV frontend machine I have 425MB right now but on
> machines I haven't cleaned up I have 1.5GB. It gets big over time.
>
> You can erase anything in this directory at the risk of needing to
> download it again if you decide to rebuild it. None the less it's easy
> to clean up to give oyu more space quickly.

Very cool.  I will start there and see if I get benefits which are workable.

> Sure - OK to test it out. Hard to live on it forever. But build
> fluxbox for test and learn, not Gnome. ;-)

Exactly what I did actually.  Generally Fluxbox and ratpoison are the
only two "desktops" I use.  I only use fluxbox to tempwm into when I
use the gimp or some such multi-windowed app.  Ratpoison is rough on
those.  I really only keep Gnome around as things like Gramps needs
it.  In this case I intended to install it only to see how I felt
about the final product in my test.  That I can't is not really a big
deal in itself, but it caused me to wonder about the space usage in
general.

> That's fast enough. I used to use Gentoo on a 750 Athlon at my old
> job. It was fast enough. Not great but it got done. More memory helps,
> etc.
>
> You'll probably like Gentoo once you get past the shock of building it
> the first time. I built a new machine with fluxbox and MythTV and had
> it booting and starting to work in about 3-4 hours 2 weekends ago.
> Like I said, the first time it took me days to build and longer to
> learn about the commands necessary to administer it. (I'm neither a
> programmer or IT person. I'm a guitar player using Linux for music,
> email, web browsing and TV watching.) For someone like me it was a bit
> trying for all the nice people here to teach me but the folks here are
> like no others I've met on any list. Very, very, very helpful folks
> who share a huge amount of knowledge in a completely open way. I've
> learned a lot. I only screw up once a day now. ;-)
>
> - Mark

Well, I have to say that just for one day on this old Pentium3 I am
very impressed.  I was a bit intimidated but I do like the final
product.  I had wanted to install from sources rather than binary
packages as I had to but without a high speed internet connection I
could not consider it.  But as a compromise I like this a lot, and
Debian, Slack and all the others are from binaries as well.  So in
that sense it is no different, but I like the philosophy behind it so
much more than the others.  That is why I have wanted to try it out
for so long.  I just don't understand why they don't make iso images
of the source packages available as well as the binary stuff.  It
would make a more traditional install available for folks like me.
But, that is a small complaint I suppose.

many thanks,

patrick