michael higgins wrote:
> I have a couple of questions about using distcc. I have two machines. One is
> significantly faster than the other, both x86 (pentium 2 and amd athlon-xp).
>
> I've followed the http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/distcc.xml instructions for
> configuring portage to use distcc. Should I need to continue with the
> instructions for "working with automake"?

Portage does this automatically as long as you have the corresponding FEATURES
enabled.

> Also, how do I tell the faster machine to just use it's own power and not
> attempt to use the slower one?

When you run distcc-config --set-hosts on the faster machine you want to
exclude the slower machine.

> I tried so far, getting distccd running on both machines, each distcc-config
> --set-hosts has one IP entry, that of the other machine. Is this right?

You may want to include localhost.

> I ran distcc-gnome and saw no activity reported on the faster machine when
> emerging something on the slower one. So, it would seem it's not working.
>
> Can anyone give me some hints? The manpage for distcc doesn't seem (to me) to
> be much related to the gentoo how-to... '-)
>
> TIA,

#!/bin/bash
source /etc/make.globals
source /etc/make.conf
export DISTCC_DIR="${PORTAGE_TMPDIR}/portage/.distcc"
exec /usr/bin/distccmon-gnome

Zac