On 6/19/05, Zac Medico <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Rumen Yotov wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Recently saw that i have a udev-tarball enabled setup and think of
> > disabling it.
> > Wanna make a backup of the tarball before doing that, but can't find
> > where it is located/saved.
> > TIA. Rumen
>
> /lib/udev-state/devices.tar.bz2 is hard coded in /sbin/rc
>
> # Actually get udev rolling
> ebegin "Configuring system to use udev"
> if [[ ${RC_DEVICE_TARBALL} = "yes" ]] && [[ -s
> /lib/udev-state/devices.tar.bz2 ]]
> then
>         einfo "  Populating /dev with device nodes ..."
>         try tar -jxpf /lib/udev-state/devices.tar.bz2 -C /dev
> fi
> populate_udev
>

> Zac

Thanks Zac. So this explains why if I set RC_DEVICE_TARBALL="no" that
I don't use it.

My question is how do the devices get created if TARBALL="no"? Is it
only the 50-udev.rules file that's responsible? I'm trying to debug
why none of my machines have the lirc/lirc0 devices like the Gentoo
Wiki's say they should.

Thanks,
Mark