I wonder if this is more complex than it needs to be.

How about getting X to run on bootup straight into mythfrontend.

a startup script might contain (eg via /etc/init.d/local)

su - mythtv -c startx

and ~mythtv/.xinitrc contains:

exec mythfrontend

Personally I am going to use the "power" button on my remote to trigger
/sbin/halt for turning off.