Walter Dnes schreef:
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2005 at 12:20:05PM +0200, Holly Bostick wrote
>
>>What is your MIDI setup (is MIDI currently running on your machine
>>without reference to dosbox)? I should have ALSA MIDI and Timidity set
>

>   What the bleep have they done to Timidity???  It *USED* to work
> out-of-the-the-box in previous versions.  Now it's looking for some
> "current" directory, and dies with an error.  If I comment out the line
> "source current/timidity.cfg" in /etc/timidity.cfg it does attempt to
> play, but generates a ton of messages like...
>
> "No instrument mapped to tone bank 0, program 27 - this instrument will not
> be heard"
>
>   I *DID* RTFM the timidity and timidity.cfg and there's *NOTHING* about
> "current/timidity.cfg"

Here's my /etc/timidity.cfg:

#
#  1.  Change directory to patch directory
#  2.  Source current/timidity.cfg
#
# Current patch set will always be symlinked to current, so make sure
that the
# proper timidity.cfg is in there
#
#
#  - source /usr/share/timidity
#  - source ~/.timidity/current
#  - Make ~/.timidity/current point to the current patch set, or to whatever
#    the individual user sets
#  - If ~/.timidity/current isn't found, it will try
#    /usr/share/timidity/current
#

dir /usr/share/timidity
dir ~/.timidity
source current/timidity.cfg

OK. I don't have a ~/.timidity, but /usr/share/timidity is there. As you
found, there is no /current directory, but since this whole thing refers
to patches, I can only assume that the /eawpatches folder-- which *is*
present-- would be what is desired (but what about me, who doesn't have
a bloody SoundBlaster? Do I need these patches? Can I use these patches?
I don't know). The eawpatches folder does contain a timidity.cfg,
further indicating that somebody simply forgot to change the name
(either of the folder, to /current, or of the setting, to point to
/eawpatches instead of /current).

So since you can set the 'patch folder' yourself, I would suggest
changing the setting to read

source eawpatches/timidity.cfg

and that looks like it would work. I know nothing about MIDI or
Timidity, so I wouldn't know if it was working anyway; I only installed
it because a game I was trying to install plays all the WAV files
properly, but not the MIDI, and I thought it might help. However, a) my
soundcard does have a Wavetable Synthesizer (so I shouldn't need to
emulate Midi); b) I fixed ALSA, which was set up wrong (so the internal
Midi should be working); and c) for all I know, it's a Wine/Cedega
problem anyway, and nothing to do with ALSA or Timidity. The point
being, we have now reached (and passed) the point where you know more
about this than I do, but I hope I've been helpful in giving you a boost
to a point where you can fix the remaining issues yourself :) .

Holly