A. Khattri wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005, maxim wexler wrote:
>
>> This reminds me. When I installed 2005.0(sempron-box)
>> I tried to mkreiserfs /dev/hda2, the boot partition,
>> since that gave no problem in 2004.3(k6-box)but it
>> gave me some sort of error, forget which, so I went
>> for the default, or anyways, the suggestion in the
>> manual, ext2, so maybe there is a problem with the fs.
>

> You should leave /boot as an ext2 partition. My guess is that grub only
> understands ext2 file-systems so can't work with your boot partition.

No, it can understand reiserfs and xfs filesystems just fine.  I've
booted from both with the appropriate stage1.5.  Plus we've also tried
not using a stage1.5 to read the stage2 through the filesystem, loading
the stage2 directly from the stage1 block map, without success.

Folks, the problem here is that the /boot partition is around 60GB (!!)
away from the start of the disk, and grub cannot read those sectors
through Maxim's BIOS.  That is what those "Error 18: Selected cylinder
exceeds maximum supported by BIOS" are telling us.  Unless we can
somehow change the BIOSs block addressing mechanism to allow him to read
those sectors, there is not going to be any way to read the kernel from
the disk.

Maxim, if you want the system to boot from the hard disk, I really think
you have no choice but to repartition and re-install the system, with
boot as the first partition.

-Richard