Richard Watson schreef:
> Hi - I have Windows XP installed on /dev/hda1. This drive is jumpered as the
> master. I installed Gentoo on /dev/hdb (which is jumpered as slave) with the
> standard partitioning scheme from the Gentoo Handbook.
>
> I'm using LILO.
>
> I tried loading /sbin/lilo to /dev/hdb1. It seemed to work (loaded my images
> OK) but gave a message saying the drive was not a master. When I rebooted it
> went straight into XP.
>
> I suppose I could use partition magic to create /boot on /dev/hda1 …
>
> Any advice would be really appreciated.
> --
> Thanks, Richard

Basically my question here is why exactly did you install the bootloader
to hdb instead of hda?

Do you want to keep the Windows bootloader for some reason? If so, not
only can you use Boot Magic (comes with Partition Magic) to point to hdb
(for Lilo) and hda (for Windows), but you can also transfer the boot
sector of hdb to the boot sector of hda and add a Linux entry to the
Windows bootloader (check the TLDP for the how to, or google 'Linux
"windows bootloader"' or the like).

If you don't want or specifically need the Windows bootloader, and don't
desire to use a third-party bootloader, you can-- as suggested-- install
Lilo to hda and use it to boot both Linux and Windows, or --as also
suggested-- muck around with your bios to switch boot drives.

In any case, everything is working right, you just haven't set it up in
a way that it does what you actually want (to boot both OSes), and that
is easily fixable.

HTH,
Holly