Stoian Ivanov schreef:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ # emerge -auD world
>
> These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
>
> Calculating world dependencies ...done!
> [blocks B     ] <net-ftp/vsftpd-2.0.3-r1 (is blocking net-ftp/ftpbase-0.00)
> [ebuild  N    ] net-ftp/ftpbase-0.00
> [ebuild     U ] net-ftp/vsftpd-2.0.3-r1 [2.0.3]
>
> !!! Error: The above package list contains packages which cannot be installed
> !!!        on the same system.
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ #
>
> So the answer is "Den't emerge until things are sorted out (ftpbase-0.01
> orvsftpd-2.0.3-r2)?"

And your question would be? Are you asking how to find out why ftpbase
is being called at all (run emerge -upDt world to get a tree view that
will show you what installed program vsftpd is a -D(ependency) of, and
also what installed program is requiring ftpbase)? Are you asking how to
solve the issue (unmerge vsftpd and then run the original command again,
which will allow ftpbase to install, as it cannot be installed on a
system where vsftpd is already installed-- apparently they are
replacements for each other)? Or are you asking which one is better (no
idea)?

Of course you can emerge while this is up in the air; just not with
--deep and probably not world (as world will likely re-initiate the
conflict). But if there are other things on the list that you want to
update, you can of course do that, and you can of course add any new
apps that might catch your fancy. And some 5-10 minutes of looking at
the information of the two conflicting apps-- a combination of searches
on www.gentoo-portage.com and packages.gentoo.org , with a side trip to
one or both homepages, usually should indicate why the block exists and
provide enough information about both programs so you can decide how you
personally want to solve it (maybe you don't want ftpbase at all and
want to stick with vsftpd).

Blocks really seem to throw people for a loop, when they're really only
there to make you *stop* the headlong rush and examine the particular
situation more carefully. Otherwise, they're not a really big deal, at
least IMHO.

Holly