I am very new to Gentoo and portage and just beginning to learn to
find my way around.  For the most part things have been good, but
MPlayer has proved to be a difficulty.  Not in basic functionality
though, but just speed.

What I did was start with a basic 'emerge -a mplayer' which installed
mplayer and a codec package.  Everything seemed very solid and seemed
to work as it should.  But when I tested mencoder with a dvd it would
only run at something like 12 or 14 fps.  Normally with the same
settings (mencoder dvd://1 -noodml -oac mp3lame -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:mbd=2:vbitrate=1800) it goes at about 28-30.  I hated to
think about taking three hours to make one pass on a movie encoding
and so unmerged it and compiled myself from source.  Now it works
fine.

I am very curious about what I did wrong, not so much for mplayer as I
have it running fine but rather for a better knowledge of portage and
such.  My use flags in /etc/make.conf are this: "gnome kde jpeg gif
tiff dvd dvdr emacs tcltk" in case they are responsible.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Patrick