David Morgan schreef:
> (top posting because I can't be bothered to sort all the irrelevant
>  stuff you posted)
>
> The person in question is using /usr/portage/profiles/uclibc/x86
>
> If you look in /usr/portage/profiles/uclibc/x86/parent you'll see that
> t's parent profile is /usr/portage/profiles/uclibc/. If you look in
> /usr/portage/profiles/uclibc/parent you'll see that it's profile is
> /usr/portage/profiles/base.
>
> Now, look in /usr/portage/profiles/base/use.mask
>
> That's the reason the win32codecs useflag is masked on this profile, as
> I explained in an earlier email.

But the use.mask-- even the correct one-- still does not lead to an
explanation or documentation of what the mask of a USE flag actually
means or what it means in this particular case (why this specific USE
flag is masked under this specific profile), in such a way that one
would know if it was something one had to learn to live with
(definitively unresolveable), or was in some way "unmaskable". That's
the original issue-- is there a way to compile mPlayer using this USE
flag under this profile, or is there not? Normally, *.mask files seem to
contain some explanation of the reason for the mask (even if only
minimal), which is why I was looking through them, but here that does
not seem to be the case. Does that mean that the OP is SOL?

Holly