I just compiled kernel-2.6.12-gentoo-r5 almost exactly the same way I've
compiled every other kernel, but this one won't boot!

I used genkernel as so:
sudo genkernel --no-menuconfig --save-config --no-bootsplash --gensplash
--gensplash=emergence --install
--kernel-config=/home/iain/configs/2.6.12-gr5-2005-07-14 --makeopts=-j3
--mountboot --bootloader=grub all

which is the same as I used for 2.6.12-gentoo and 2.6.11-gentoo-r11
(etc) and they worked fine.

The only difference is I removed --udev from the genkernel options
because genkernel told me its specified by default.

The kernel and initrd files are named differently:
kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.12-gentoo-r5
initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.12-gentoo-r5

as opposed to
kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r11
initrd-2.6.11-gentoo-r11

Grub loads the initrd ok, but somewhere in the boot process, this
happens (with lots more /init lines where I've placed 'etc'):

ACPI wakeup devices:
 LID PBTN PCIO USB1 USB2 USB4 USB3 MODM PCIE
ACPI: (supports S0 S1 S3 S4 S4bios S5)
Freeing unused kernel memory: 228k freed

all ok up to here, but then:

-install: applet not found
/init: 41: In: not found
/init: 45: cat: not found
/init: 150: sed: not found
/init: 172: touch: not found
/init: 172: cat: not found
etc!
>> Activating udev
/init: 178: mkdir: not found
/init: 178: /sbin/udevstart: not found
/init: 178: In: not found
etc!
[: /dev/md: unknown operand
/init: 187: mkdir: not found
>> Determining root device...
!! The root block device is unspecified or not detected.
  Please specify a device to boot, or "shell" for a shell...
boot() ::

(this is typed from a photo, so E&OE !!)

At this stage, I can type shell, but I don't get any commands.  When I
try to use tab completion, I see some strange directory names (sorry
can't remember exactly).

I thought maybe for some reason I didn't have the right filesystem
modules compiled in, but they're certainly there:

CONFIG_EXT3_FS=y
and so on, but anyway, I haven't changed this from 2.6.11.

So, any ideas on what's going on? Something udev related?  google only
returned the usual "init not found", MARC showed nothing and I can't
connect to gmane, anyone know whats going on there?

Many TIA!
--
Iain Buchanan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>