Bill Roberts wrote:

Richard

I tried all of your suggestions, without success. See inline comments:

Note device and monitor section of xorg.conf at end:

I've had one further idea. I have a 4-port kvm switch (Cybex), it has
never interferred with anything in the past four or five years. Wonder
if. . . , maybe that could be having an effect.
One other thought. In full screen, ever other line is black, giving
the awful looking screen. Couldn't that have something to do with
interlacing?? Wish I understood all of this better.

Oh, one more thing. Modelines can be an issue, but only if VMWare and X are running at different resolutions or color depths. For example, my normal laptop resolution is 1600x1200. If I go fullscreen VMWare at 1600x1200 or 1280x1024, everything works normally. However there is also a 1400x1050 mode in XP, but my hardware doesn't seem to support that resolution, so if I try to go fullscreen, I get a resolution that results in a corrupted display for the right 1/3 of the screen.

So it is possible that a particular modeline could fix that issue for me, and may be related to why you had to specify modelines previously. But if the resolution and depth are the same, then the same modeline should apply whether VMWare is fullscreen or not, AFAIK.

-Richard