Zac & Mike,
   Thanks for the responses. I am getting a device /dev/raw/raw1394
created when I load the module and removed when I rmmod the module:

godzilla ~ # ls -la /dev/raw
ls: /dev/raw: No such file or directory
godzilla ~ # modprobe raw1394
godzilla ~ # ls -la /dev/raw
total 0
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root     60 Jul 17 15:05 .
drwxr-xr-x  18 root root  13660 Jul 17 15:05 ..
crw-rw----   1 root disk 171, 0 Jul 17 15:05 raw1394
godzilla ~ #

What's throwing me is that the libraw1394 emerge makes this limited complaint:

Required /dev/raw1394 device file not found.
Run 'make dev' to create it.

It seems to me that if the device was moved by either udev or the
Gentoo developers then shouldn't this package have been modified to
understand that and not throw a message like this? Or is there
possibly supposed to be a link of some type from /dev/raw1394 to
/dev/raw/raw1394?

Or is my device not the same as yours?

Thanks,
Mark