wget has a throttling option --limit-rate

how about :

1. keep a file containing the urls of the files you want to download.
(dllist)

2. start them at whatever time like:

wget --limit-rate=5k -i dllist

3. use at to run a script at 2.00 am which kills wget and restarts it
with no limit-rate option, the -c flag (to continue downloads) and the
same file list.