Ok, you're right, it really does burn cds.

So, you're still not able to burn them? Try erasing an RW or writting
an RW (so you don't spent cds). You should be able to do that with
k3b, unless you already have mounted the cd (the erase and burn
operations don't need the drive mounted) but I suppose that would echo
an error.

You don't need anything special on your kernel to burn cds. At least I
have nothing special on mine. K3b does it all for me.

On 7/18/05, James <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > > I have a Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-R2412 in my portable.
> > > #lshw <reveals>:
> > > *-cdrom
> > >                    product: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R2412
> > >                    vendor: Toshiba
> > >                    capabilities: packet atapi cdrom
> > > removable nonmagnetic dma lba iordy audio cd-r cd-rw dvd
>

> > /dev/cdroms/cdrom0   /mnt/cdrom   iso9660  user,noauto,ro 0 0
> OK this got rid of the error in K3b.
>
> > You should be able to do all you can do with your drive, in your case,
> > I believe you can read cds and read dvds, but as far as I know, you
> > can't burn cds, its a dvd drive, not a cdrw or a combo. (at least
> > considering the name, I may be wrong)
>
> Well, the last line from 'lshw' says it is a cd-rw
>
> That implies I should be able to write to the CD?
>
> The page:    http://www.toshiba-europe.com/storage/
> Index.asp?page=PCI&nav=ISH_PRS&model=SDR2412
>
> tells me the drive has CD rw capabilities. Maybe I missed the correct
> driver in the kernel?
>
> James
>

> --

Daniel da Veiga