Nick Rout <nick <at> rout.co.nz> writes:

> yes i think you should try cdrecord from the command line with the
> verbose option turned on and see what happens. ( the option is -V).
>
> If you need the basics of how to use cdrecord see the cd writing
 howto
> at http://tldp.org

Well looking at that I used:
cdrecord dev=ATAPI:1,1,0 -eject speed=2 -pad -audio -v close.wav

Here are the results:

cdrecord: No write mode specified.
cdrecord: Asuming -tao mode.
cdrecord: Future versions of cdrecord may have different drive
dependent defaults.
cdrecord: Continuing in 5 seconds...
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg
on-the-fly encryption (version 1.0-rc1) built-in, (C) 2004,2005

NOTE: this version of cdrecord is an inofficial (modified) release of
cdrecord
      and thus may have bugs that are not present in the original
version.
      Please send bug reports and support requests to
<burbon04 at gmx.de>.
      For more information please see
http://burbon04.gmxhome.de/linux/CDREncryption.html.
      The original author should not be bothered with problems
of this version.

cdrecord: Warning: Running on Linux-2.6.12-gentoo-r4
cdrecord: There are unsettled issues with Linux-2.5 and newer.
cdrecord: If you have unexpected problems, please try Linux-2.4 or
Solaris.
TOC Type: 0 = CD-DA
cdrecord: Cannot allocate memory. WARNING: Cannot do mlockall(2).
cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
cdrecord: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot set RR-scheduler
cdrecord: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set priority using
setpriority().
cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
scsidev: 'ATAPI:1,1,0'
devname: 'ATAPI'
scsibus: 1 target: 1 lun: 0
Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.
Warning: The related Linux kernel interface code seems to be
unmaintained.
Warning: There is absolutely NO DMA, operations thus are slow.
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
SCSI buffer size: 64512
atapi: -1
cdrecord: Cannot do inquiry for CD/DVD-Recorder.
cdrecord: Input/output error. test unit ready: scsi sendcmd:
 fatal error
CDB:  00 00 00 00 00 00
cmd finished after 0.000s timeout 40s

> There is some weird crap with cdrecord and various kernel versions.
> what versions of cdrecrod and kernel are you running?
2.6.12-gentoo-r4 (standard with no patches)

I kept these old kernel, which I can reboot and test?
2.6.11-gentoo-r11
2.6.11-gentoo-r10

> also I note that i am in the cdrecording group in /etc/group -
I am not
> sure if this is important or a hangover from some earlier setup.

I added root and myself to this line in /etc/group
cdrw::80:root,james

I was already in this line:
cdrom::19:root,james

Maybe a better command line to test with cdrecord?

James