Stuart Howard wrote:
thx for the response
I think we missed each other with the point though, currently my sound
works just fine and I am happy with it as it is [ie. built in] I am
not sure where the alsa driver in "world" came from unless it is a
hangover from my initial genkernel instalation.
I would like to remove this package from my system simply because I
"think" I dont need it, this being the bit I am not sure about.
I am afraid that there are two things on linux that I have never got
on well with, sound and optical drives. :)

stu

In the gentoo alsa guide lists the pros and cons of alsa-driver vs. the alsa
modules from kernel.org.  If alsa already works then you don't need
alsa-driver.  Portage would certainly notify you of any dependency.

After you prune the world file, you can use "emerge -a depclean" to remove
unneeded packages.  Of course, after a depclean (or any library changes), revdep-rebuild
may be necessary.

Zac