Hi

I think I know why I have this error but I woul like another view
before I -aCv the package, the error from this mornings emerge -aDuv
world was :-

checking for built-in ALSA... "yes"
configure: error: You have built-in ALSA in your kernel.

!!! Please attach the config.log to your bug report:
!!! /var/tmp/portage/alsa-driver-1.0.9b/work/alsa-driver-1.0.9b/config.log

!!! ERROR: media-sound/alsa-driver-1.0.9b failed.
!!! Function econf, Line 485, Exitcode 0
!!! econf failed
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status message.

I skipped some of the less seemingly pertinent bits, my kernel is
currently 2.6.11.5 and ALSA is built into it whereas when I first
installed Gentoo [~6 months ago] I used genkernel which IIRC built
ALSA as modules which I think has led me to the above error.
I checked the changelog and this package
media-sound/alsa-driver-1.0.9b was last made x86 in febuary which may
have been before I installed gentoo hence I think why my world is
trying to install it even though I do not require it.

Could someone confirm [or guide anyway ] for me that my "guess" is
right and that I will be safe to remove the package.
Alternatively I have got completly the wrong end of the stick and I am
about to kill my system :)
in which case a big NO!! dont do it will suffice .

thanks stu

--
"There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand
binary, those who don't"

--Unknown