Vincent A. Primavera wrote:

Hello,
       Just looking for some opinions here.  What is a good approach
to installing applications with a minimal amount of optional USE flags
enabled? For example, if one were to run `emerge -pv kde-base/kde` you
would be presented with many, many dependencies and USE flags.  I
would prefer to install less upfront and add on later as needed.
Doing an `emerge -pv $packagename` then looking through the
dependencies and their USE flags each time, to me, doesn't seem like
the best method.  I took a look at the list of USE flags at
http://www.gentoo-portage.com/USE and disabling dozens of them in
/etc/make.conf doesn't seem like a great method either.  I'm trying to
avoid a big, bloated system without going too crazy here.  Any
suggestions?
--
       Thank you,

       Vincent A. Primavera.
       Director of Information Technology.
       Ralph Pill Electric Supply Co.

Hi,
Recently there was such discussion, only about the default USE-flags (in
current profile).
By memory the solution was: "-* only desired USE-flags here, ex. alsa
crypt readline ..." in '/etc/make.conf'
"-*" disables quite all (only all optional w/o the required ones) and
turns ON the USE-flags following it.
PS: watch out there are 2-3 flags which are absolutely required for a
sane system, check ML-archive (readline is one).
HTH. Rumen

Hello,
This looks like what I am leaning towards. Now I just have to find out what those few critical flags are ;o} Thanks all!
--

I found this below at http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,11993814: USE="-* tcpd crypt ssl pam ncurses zlib readline". Does it look as minimalistic *and* safe as possible?