I get this output:

Gir ~ # v4lctl -v 1 setchannel 5 /dev/v4l/video0
vid-open: trying: v4l2-old...
vid-open: failed: v4l2-old
vid-open: trying: v4l2...
v4l2: open
v4l2: device info:
 saa7134 0.2.12 / Pinnacle PCTV Stereo (saa7134) @ PCI:0000:00:05.0
vid-open: ok: v4l2
freq: reading /usr/share/xawtv/Index.map
v4l2:   tuner cap: STEREO LANG1 LANG2
v4l2:   tuner rxs: MONO
v4l2:   tuner cur: MONO
cmd: "setchannel" "5" "/dev/v4l/video0"
v4l2: freq: 0.000
v4l2: close

W.Kenworthy wrote:

The problem is almost sure to be the tuner card.  Try v4ctl with debug
set to check for errors when tuning. (you will need xawtv installed)

rattus ~ # v4lctl -v 1 setchannel 2 /dev/v4l/video0
vid-open: trying: v4l2-old...
vid-open: failed: v4l2-old
vid-open: trying: v4l2...
v4l2: open
v4l2: device info:
 bttv 0.9.15 / BT848 video (MIRO PCTV) @ PCI:0000:00:06.0
vid-open: ok: v4l2
freq: reading /usr/share/xawtv/Index.map
v4l2:   tuner cap:
v4l2:   tuner rxs: MONO
v4l2:   tuner cur: MONO
cmd: "setchannel" "2" "/dev/v4l/video0"
v4l2: freq: 0.000
v4l2: close
rattus ~ # qpkg -f `which v4lctl`
media-tv/xawtv *
rattus ~ #

(Note that I cant check the full args as I only have ssh access at work)

BillK