We have a Solaris based YP server.

On a fresh install I set /etc/yp.conf to:
domain insignia broadcast

and set NISDOMAIN to "insignia" in /etc/conf.d/domainname.

If I run "ypbind -debug" I get:

>speyburn ~ # ypbind -debug
>parsing config file
>Trying entry: domain insignia broadcast
>parsed domain 'insignia' broadcast
>add_server() domain: insignia, broadcast
>[Welcome to ypbind-mt, version 1.17.2]
>
>do_broadcast() for domain 'insignia' is called
>Answer for domain 'insignia' from server 'panther.internal.local'
>leave do_broadcast() for domain 'insignia'
>Pinging all active server.
>Pinging all active server.

The YP server is correctly identified. I can ping it OK
in another window. However if I do a ypwhich in another
window I get:

>speyburn ~ # ypwhich
>can't yp_bind: Reason: Domain not bound

It doesn't make any difference if I use the "-broken-server"
flag.

This was working fine on the machine which failed and I'm
in the process of replacing, and I'm pretty sure I didn't
do any more than the above.