On Tue, 2005-07-19 at 17:50 +0200, Holly Bostick wrote:
> LostSon schreef:
> >  Hello
> >  I am trying to get fbsplash to work and am stuck. I have followed the
> > directions on the gentoo-wiki site but still no luck. Im using vesafb
> > with a 2.6.12-r6 kernel. my grub.conf looks like this
> >
> > title=Gentoo-2.6.12-r6-fbsplash
> > root (hd0,0)
> > kernel (hd0,0)/boot/bzImage.new25 root=/dev/hda3
> > video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr,[EMAIL PROTECTED] spla$
> > initrd (hd0,0)/fbsplash-gentoo-1024x768
> >
> >  It tries to go to it but it just stays in text mode with no splash it
> > doesnt even go to 1024x768. I get this when booting
> >
> >  Kernel command line: root=/dev/hda3 video=vesafb:ywrap,mtrr,[EMAIL
> > PROTECTED]
> > splash=silent,theme:gentoo quiet CONSOLE=/dev/tty1
> >
> >  Im not sure what that means though. Any ideas, thanks.
>
> That means, afaik, that there is an error in the syntax of that specific
> line, and you need to fix it, as GRUB can't figure out or even guess
> what the heck you mean.
>
> For reference, here's my kernel command line (splash does work for me):
>
> kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5
> video=vesafb-tng:ywrap,mtrr,pmipal,[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> splash=silent,theme:emergence quiet CONSOLE=/dev/tty1
>
> The (main) difference I see is that you have no bit depth specified in
> your video= command, but perhaps vesafb doesn't need one. I also see
> that I'm using pmipal and you aren't but since I don't even know what
> that is anyway, I'll assume it's not important.
>
> So what I'm wondering is-- you're asking for vesafb in the command line,
> but is that actually the framebuffer that you've selected in the kernel
> (in menuconfig, Device Drivers section =>Graphics support, what is the
> actual name of the vesa framebuffer being built)?
>
> Mine looks like
>
> VESA VGA graphics support
>
> VESA driver type (vesafb-tng)  --->
>
> Does it actually say 'vesafb' between your parentheses (as I believe
> that vesafb-tng is the default if you enable VESA VGA graphics support)?
>
> Also what version of splashutils, did you recently upgrade the kernel
> from 2.6.11, and if so, did you re-generate the splash initrd (there's
> an einfo to this effect in the recent splashutils ebuilds)?
>
> HTH,
> Holly

 Ok i tried adding that in my line but still no luck alot of what im
getting is errors about not being able to load config files and fd0 or
fb0 it goes by so fast and i cannot find these error messages in any of
my logs either. Im using splashutils-1.1.9.7 btw, thanks
--
LostSon

http://www.lostsonsvault.org

Fox Cities Linux User Group = www.foxlug.org